Ultragenyx publishes its first environmental, social and
NOVATO, Calif., April 25, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc. (NASDAQ: RARE), a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing and commercializing new products for serious rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases, has released its first ESG report today. The new report provides an overview of the Company’s ESG milestones, commitments and aspirations.
“Since the earliest days of Ultragenyx, we have operated on the fundamental principles that our success as a company is inextricably linked to accelerating the development of new therapies, improving access to treatments, maintaining a people-centered culture and, most importantly, doing good for people with rare diseases,” said Emil D. Kakkis, MD, Ph.D., CEO and President of Ultragenyx “This report outlines our ESG strategy and is a significant evolution of our ESG journey. We look forward to building on this foundation as we establish our long-term goals and commitments and continue to report on our progress.”
In 2021, Ultragenyx established a set of priorities and a strategic ESG framework based on five pillars: Patients, People, Communities, Planet and Governance. Ultragenyx’s key ESG commitments and high-level highlights for 2021 include:
- Patients: Our commitments include developing life-changing treatments for rare and ultra-rare diseases and gaining majority access to our medicines.
- Since 2013, more than 380 patients in 43 countries have been approved for access to Ultragenyx treatments through various global expanded access and patient assistance programs, and there are currently more than 400 active participants enrolled in 55 investigator-sponsored clinical trials.
- In 2021, we donated more than $2.2 million to more than 100 rare disease patient advocacy groups in 18 countries to help them achieve their goals.
- People: Our commitments include maintaining a diverse, inclusive, safe and healthy environment, and being a company where employees feel respected and valued. Our commitments also include fair and equitable compensation practices that are transparent and free of bias.
- We have a diverse workforce with women representing 58% of our global workforce and 43% of our leadership positions at the Vice President level or above.
- In 2021, we exceeded our goal of maintaining a high employee engagement survey score above 85% and maintained a voluntary turnover rate below 10%.
- Communities: Our commitments include building stronger, healthier communities by being a caring and responsible neighbor, providing jobs, and supporting public health and wellness, educational and humanitarian initiatives.
- In 2021, we donated over $130,000 to 11 community organizations and in 2020-2021 we donated $330,000 to local businesses to provide meals to first responders and at-risk communities during the pandemic. .
- We have extended the number of volunteer days for employees with a license, certification and/or medical training so that they can donate their time to local hospitals where first response efforts to the COVID-19 are required.
- Planet: Our commitments include developing an environmental strategy that recognizes our contributions to the health of the planet and minimizes our environmental footprint across all of our activities.
- We piloted sustainable building design standards at our new gene therapy manufacturing facility in Massachusetts, slated to open in 2023.
- In 2021, we began purchasing 100% renewable electricity for our headquarters in Novato, California.
- Governance: Our commitments include maintaining strong corporate governance structures at the board and corporate management level and adhering to the highest standards of ethics and integrity.
- We have consolidated information security and cyber resilience activities under the leadership of our Chief Information Security Officer and Chief Information Officer.
- 100% of full-time employees received cybersecurity training in 2021.
The full report is available in digital format on our website at www.ultragenyx.com under “Corporate Sustainability”.
About Ultranyx Pharmaceutical Inc.
Ultragenyx is a biopharmaceutical company committed to bringing new therapies to patients for the treatment of serious rare and ultra-rare genetic diseases. The company has built a diverse portfolio of approved drugs and therapeutic candidates aimed at treating diseases with high unmet medical needs and clear biology, for which there are generally no approved therapies that address the underlying disease.
The company is led by a management team experienced in the development and commercialization of therapies for rare diseases. Ultragenyx’s strategy is based on time- and cost-efficient drug development, with the goal of delivering safe and effective therapies to patients in the shortest possible time.
For more information about Ultragenyx, please visit the company’s website at: www.ultragenyx.com.
Forward-Looking Statements and Use of Digital Media
This press release contains statements that assume or reflect our beliefs about our future performance that constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are generally identified by the inclusion of words such as “aim”, “anticipate”, “aspire”, “believe”, “commit”, “strive”, “estimate”, “expect”, “aim”, “intend”, “may”, “plan”, “seek”, “strive”, “target”, “will” and “work”, or similar statements or variations of these terms and other similar expressions. Forward-looking statements in this press release relate to the Company’s goals, progress or expectations with respect to corporate responsibility, sustainability, patients, products, product candidates, employees, environmental issues, politics and business risks and opportunities. Forward-looking statements inherently involve risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those predicted in such statements. These statements are based on numerous assumptions that the Company believes are reasonable, but are subject to a wide range of uncertainties and business risks. In addition, these statements may be based on standards for measuring progress that are still under development, controls and processes that continue to evolve, and assumptions that may change in the future. Therefore, actual results may differ materially from what is contained in any forward-looking statement. For a more detailed description of the risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ from those expressed in these forward-looking statements, as well as risks relating to Ultragenyx’s business generally, see Ultragenyx’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on February 15, 2022 and its subsequent periodic reports filed with the SEC. Forward-looking statements are ambitious and are not guarantees or promises that objectives or targets will be achieved. The Company undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking or other statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise, and notwithstanding any historical practice to do so. The Company may decide to adjust the objectives and targets or establish new ones to reflect changes in our business. In addition to its SEC filings, press releases, and public conference calls, Ultragenyx uses its investor relations website and social media to post important company information, including information that may be deemed important to investors, and to comply with its disclosure obligations under Regulation DF. Financial and other information about Ultragenyx is published regularly and can be accessed on the Ultragenyx Investor Relations website (https://ir.ultragenyx.com/) and the LinkedIn website (https://www.linkedin.com/company/ultragenyx-pharmaceutical-inc-/).
Ultragenyx Pharmaceutical Inc.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at https://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/5ad31bbb-c734-4608-b3b1-ff165a779ee7