Elkay Releases Second Corporate Responsibility Report
âAt Elkay, our commitment to sustainability and corporate responsibility is reflected in everything we do,â said the CEO Ric phillips. “From our water supply products that provide free public access to fresh, filtered water and have saved tens of billions of plastic bottles from landfills, to the thousands of hours our employees have to work with. spent volunteering in their communities, i am proud of the impact our people are making to care for the planet and its people. The people of Elkay continue to get involved and amaze me with the many ingenious ways they help our communities and their constant generosity of spirit. I am proud of the accomplishments of our team and the progress we have made “together to make a difference in the lives of people around the world.”
Announce new goals
Elkay builds on its commitment to corporate responsibility and continuous improvement by announcing new goals to help measure, monitor and drive its progress on important issues, such as diversity, equity, inclusion and the environmental impact.
Elkay’s corporate responsibility goals for the upcoming 2020-2021 reporting period include:
Analyze and reduce greenhouse gases
Metrics 302-1, 305-1, 305-2, 303-3
Elkay conducted a preliminary greenhouse gas inventory in early 2020, listing Scope 1 emissions (direct emissions from operations, p. 2018 and 2019. During this reporting period, Elkay has undergone various changes organizations that impacted our ability to create a reliable baseline In 2021, Elkay will inventory and analyze greenhouse gas emissions across the organization to establish a reliable baseline. Then we’ll start developing a strategy that will prepare Elkay to set science goals by 2024. Elkay is making changes to our energy and water use, improving facility efficiency, and assessing how we can innovate. in our manufacturing practices to be less wasteful.
Improve product transparency
Metric 416-1, 417-1
One of the pillars of the sustainability strategy is to ensure product transparency throughout the organization. In 2018, Elkay began offering Health Product Claims (HDPs) on select products to provide our user community with insight into the materials they interact with on a daily basis. This initiative has enabled Elkay to take a key step towards responsible product stewardship. We are committed to improving the transparency of our products and aim to achieve 80% product coverage with health product claims or similar product sustainability documentation within the plumbing organization by 2026. Over the next two years, the plumbing organization will intensify its collaboration with EIS to begin offering transparency documents on key products by 2024. We plan to use the information in these transparency documents to optimize our products. in terms of impacts on human health and the environment.
Protect and improve the safety and health of employees in our supply chain
Metric 408-1, 409-1, 412-3, 414-1, 414-2
Elkay’s plumbing organization expects our suppliers to act with respect for their employees, the community and the environment. In 2018, Elkay reaffirmed the commitment of 49.1% of plumbing suppliers to the code of conduct during our semi-annual review; this represented about 80% of the plumbing expenses. The Code of Conduct aims to protect the safety of employees, to protect children and adults from forced or compulsory labor, and to ensure that our suppliers engage in fair employment practices. Over the next two years, Elkay will expand the content of this Code of Conduct and ensure that it is integrated into the culture of every Elkay business organization, including EIS and MR Direct, which will result in coverage of 90 % of Elkay purchase dollars.
Diversity, equity and inclusion – Improving the diversity of the candidate pool
Elkay is committed to increasing the diverse representation * of our candidate pool to staff our professional positions. We are currently pursuing the following improvements:
- Increase the percentage of diverse candidates presented to our hiring managers for professional office positions to 25%.
- Increase the percentage of various hires for professional positions in offices to 25%. We will monitor and evaluate our organizational performance data to determine specific continuous improvement opportunities as we move forward.
* For the two targets, we have chosen to define diversity according to ethnicity, according to where we are in our journey. Please note that we are also looking to increase non-male representation. Both measurements are tracked simultaneously.
Highlights of the 2018-2019 report include:
- Celebrate record milestones to serve near 7.5 billion gallons of fresh filtered water to thirsty humans while preventing more 46 billion plastic bottles to go into the environment.
- Increase transparency by producing Health product declarations for our plumbing products
- Establish a Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council, resulting in new DEI performance metrics, company-wide leadership training and numerous Employee Resource Groups (ERGs).
- To throw Fountains for youth program at provide fresh, filtered drinking water to schools in need – and teach children and their parents healthy hydration habits for life
- Pass one $ 5.6 million donation stage thanks to the ELKAYcares employee donation campaign since its creation in 2011
- Creation of the Sternberg Philanthropy Prize recognize employees for their exceptional commitments to community service and civic engagement.
- Increase business development investments in our employees through formal training and development programs and employee education assistance by 38% and 58%, respectively.
âStarting a business on sustainability and corporate responsibility is a big undertaking,â said the Senior Director of Compliance and Sustainability, John watson. âImplementing new measurement and reporting methodologies across multiple functions, and then adjusting your business practices to improve those metrics year over year requires a strong commitment from top management – and in the entire organization at every touchpoint where processes can be improved. I am proud of our employees and their commitment to do the hard work to make the world a better, safer and healthier place and our business a better citizen of our planet – and I look forward to witnessing and report on our future progress towards our newly established goals. “
A full copy of Elkay’s Second Social Responsibility Report prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Core Option and covering the 2018-2019 reporting period can be downloaded at https://bit.ly/32ivjjq.
A family business since 1920, Elkay has been manufacturing innovative products and providing exceptional customer service for nearly a century. Although proud to be the number one seller of kitchen sinks in the United States, Elkay expanded its business offering more than four decades ago and today offers faucets, water coolers, fountains. water, Smartwell water delivery systems and award-winning ezH2O bottle filling stations, in addition to world-class stainless steel and quartz sinks. Our Elkay Interior Systems business is a global leader in the design and construction of branded retail environments and commercial systems such as stainless steel products for commercial kitchens for major international brands in the retail markets. retail, hospitality, catering and education. Like your family, Elkay has enduring values ââand traditions, such as our commitment to sustainability and our commitment to our community. Based at United States in Downers Grove, Illinois, Elkay employs more than 2,400 people worldwide, at 28 locations in the United States, China, and Mexico. For more information visit www.elkay.com.